Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Review: MAC Quarry single eyeshadow

MAC describes their eyeshadow in the shade Quarry as a “soft muted plum-brown matte”. I bought this shadow after having my makeup done by an artist at a MAC store, and the artist used this shade on me. I was in need of a good subtle crease color for fall, and decided to give this one a shot.



More after the jump!



MAC single shadows retail for $15, or you can buy just the palette refill pan for $10 online. (Buy online from MAC) I think most shadows I buy from the brand I'm going to get in the refill pan format, just because of the affordability, but the price isn't too unreasonable, even for the regular singles. Some L'Oreal shadows are $9.99 each, so in some ways the price is nearly drugstore-level!


MAC singles come packaged in the company's iconic black clam-shell style compact, with subtle silver sparkle. MAC shadows contain 1.5 grams of product, which seems to be about on-point with most other company's singles, based on what I own. On the bottom there's a sticker, -which is very well attached, that lists the shade name, and also the finish of the shadow. MAC has several finishes, so I find it useful that it's listed on the packaging.




The online description of this shade is very accurate. It's a very muted, soft brown, with distinct plum tones to it. For a brown shade, it's very neutral, not too cool-toned, or too warm-toned. Depending on what your needs are, this shade will work for everyone.



Quarry is in-fact very matte, which can be a drier texture, but MAC is known for doing their mattes well, and after owning Quarry I have to agree. It's not the creamiest, or smoothest matte that I own, but it's very easy to work with. It blends out well, and isn't too stiff and dry, while still very pigmented. It is a bit dry, and does kick up a fair bit of excess in the pan, but nothing too worrisome.

The wear time for Quarry will vary based on your primer, and whether or not you use a cream base. I have very oily eyelids, and if I don't use a primer even the best eyeshadows crease on me, but if you have more normal eyelids, you may be able to go without one, and have good lasting power. I can get 7-8 hours wear before it starts creasing or fading on my lids, if I use a primer, and it will last even longer if you add in a base.

I get the most use of this shade as a subtle crease shade for work, using my BH Cosmetics Blending Brush, which you can buy online here. I also like this shade as a slightly deeper lid shade for a neutral smoky look. e.l.f. makes a great shader-style brush for only $1 which you can buy at Target, some Walmarts, or online from eyeslipsface.com.

Here I'm wearing Quarry on the lid, with Desperation by Urban Decay in the crease, and a few shades from the Meet Matte Nude palette by The Balm.


I'm definitely happy I bought Quarry, and I plan on trying more shades from MAC, though it's not the best shadow I've ever used, it's very good quality, and this particular shade is exactly what I wanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment